Here is a Sicilian recipe that required the intervention of a person I hadn’t seen in 30 years. To prepare this recipe, anelletti are fundamental and this type of pasta is not easy to find, as it is a Sicilian exclusive. I had planned to make a video recipe dedicated to this delicious timbale, but I had highly underestimated the difficulty of finding the anelletti in Berlin, so the project had remained in the world of ideas waiting for the next trip to Sicily.
But here comes on a visit from Palermo a distant acquaintance, a classmate from primary school that I hadn’t seen for 3 decades. Chiara and I were companions both in kindergarten and for all 5 years of primary school.
Afterward, as often happens, we lost sight of each other. I did not come empty-handed, with her a package of delicious wholemeal rings, almost as if to read my mind.
This recipe is not originally vegan, because of the meat sauce and cheese, but my version is just as appetizing. Also, I find that adding the fennel seeds gives it a sausage-like taste.
There is a wisdom of the head, and a wisdom of the heart
- 250 g anelletti pasta
- 2 cups soy mince
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 cup peas (frozen)
- 1 shallot onion
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 250 g tomato sauce
- vegan mozzarella/ vegan shredded cheese
- bread crumbs
- mix the soy mince and the stock powder together, cover with hot water and let it rest for 10 min.
- cover with hot water the peas, let it rest for 10 min. until soft
- on a pan add 1 tbs olive oil and stir fry the onion
- drain the mince and the peas and pour them into the pan
- add the tomato sauce, salt (or soy sauce), the fennel seeds, 1 tbs olive oil, pepper and let it simmer for 10 minutes
- preheat the oven (180°C)
- cook the pasta according to the direction in the packaging
- mix the pasta with the vegan ragu, add the mozzarella cubes and some of the shredded cheese
- cover a baking tin (17 cm x 26 cm) with parchment paper
- brush with olive oil
- sprinkle on the bread crumbs
- pour the anelletti, top with a mix of bread crumbs and shredded cheese
- bake for 40 minutes